Thursday, July 29, 2010

Life marches on........

It has been two months since my father died.
We all seem to be coming to grips with it now, slowly. I won't speak for my brothers, as I haven't spoken with either one of them since, but my Mom, sister and I are doing fine.
The phone calls are getting more spread out during the week. Mom is getting into her new routine. As the last little items from the funeral are being settled and she is now preparing to finalize ordering the little stone and picking the place at the cemetery. She wants it to be next to a little pond, because Papa loved fishing. :>)

I can only imagine the new world that is opening up for her now. She has never in her entire life been on her own. So unlike my sister and me.

So life is settling down. Here at home things are going well.
Boo started a new daycare past Monday and LOVES it. She smiles going in and smiles coming out.
She really needs this, making little friends, learning stuff, playing, not being around two old people who huff and puff after noon.
She grows before your very eyes. Tall and skinny, like her Momma.

Bugs is looking good. She likes her job, even though the hours have been a bit off lately, but she loves the bar tending. Makes decent money. She has gained some weight, has no longer any kidney problems.

And now she will have some time for herself while Boo is at school. Something she needs. Time to get to the bottom of her house situation. The house still doesn't seem in foreclosure. The loan now carried by B of A. This after countless phone calls and stonewalling from the lenders. I have no earthly clue about any of this, but one thing is certain. She needs the get this monkey off her back.

A few months before Christmas I allowed Nana and grandpa to visit with Boo. As you might remember, I did that without anyone knowing. Things got out of hand. Nana became pretty pushy, wanting more visits and more interaction than I was able to provide. When they came to our house at Christmas, I told them that I was no longer going to be able to let them visit Boo without her mother's permission. Needless to say it upset them, and I felt bad.

On the other hand, I didn't need the stress over this issue. It's not my problem. It's not their problem. It's an issue that needs to be resolved by Daddy and Bugs. And since Daddy still has about 14 months left on his jail sentence, and since he doesn't seem to have any interest in his daughter (He COULD send her a card fro her birthday or for Christmas etc) I have a feeling that Bugs won't let them see her any time soon.

Nana emails me sometimes, sad, desperate emails. I don't write back. I told her I wasn't going to.
Nana is a bit over the top. Perhaps that sounds harsh, but believe me. She is.

The last email was written all in caps. They went to see a lawyer (something they threatened ME with a few months ago). I don't know why they bothered. According to the law here in GA. the (unmarried) father and his family have no rights. Bugs is the only one who can and will determine what will happen in regard of her daughter.
Considering the destructive path he decided for himself, no judge in this state will allow him custody, or unsupervised visitation.
In her letter she wrote that they talked with a lawyer, who advised them to "work it out amongst yourselves", and that they would not like any decision they would get from a judge. Not at this point.

It has been a relief not to have to deal with this problem. I am so grateful Bugs has a stable life now, with a decent guy, both working hard, saving their money. But most of all, she seems happy.

Whew!

SGMKJ!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a scenario with the family of the ex! And you having to deal with it. It must be hard for the grandparents to be in this powerless position. Their son has lost the way I think, what a loss for him with such a beautiful daughter.
    You've handled it well, and I'm so glad this little girl has started her socializing, and you will get more space and time for your own life. You are a great Nana!

    ReplyDelete