Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Drywall, pool noodles and duct tape

 A few months ago I managed to still hoist Wheelie up, him holding on the bars, my head against his back, so I could pull his pants down before I smacked him on the commode. Once in a while, his knee would give out, and the initial small indentation in the wall it grew into  a big hole. Not gonna have it fixed, they can do that when we leave.
 Because his weight loss, his customized chair is becoming too wide, and he kept on falling to the side. Of course we could get a new chair, but he doesn't want to spend the money, so we got handy with a pool noodle and duct tape. Covered it with
 another piece of sheepskin, and...voila!



This is face of Machado Joseph Disease.
 A stoic quiet man, slowly shrinking away.
There is no soccer on TV today so he opted to go to bed instead.
It is going on 16+ years that he started using the chair full time.
For a guy who couldn't sit still for a second, who always had to go DO something, mow the lawn, work in the yard, build shelving for the collections of CDs, Videos and LPs, he adapted amazingly well to his circumstances. Never complains, no demands. Doesn't want anyone to fuss over him.

We have been married for almost 34 years now and it has been a roller coaster at times. But he hung on, allowed me to do my thing, and now its my turn.
My turn to be the patient one, and the caregiver. It really isn't a hard job. Oh I have my moments, but we are making it work.

I am grateful for the beautiful weather today, everything turning green. The cars turning yellow from the pollen.
Time to get my hummingbird feeder up again.

SGMKJ!

No comments:

Post a Comment