Monday, September 28, 2009

Cupcakes and early wake-up calls



We had Boo-boo all weekend. The weather was still a bit icky, especially in the afternoon, so I took a brave decision to make cupcakes with her.
She did pretty good! Even cracked an egg without much of a mess, stirred the batter and kept it in the bowl.
And then it was waiting in front of the oven.
Don't worry, I was right there behind her, and the oven doesn't get hot on the outside.




The result was a dozen utterly sweet little cakes with even worse frosting. The stuff that is so sweet it makes your eyes cross.





She looks rather "happy" here, a little high from the sugar rush.
But it was fun!

On Sunday morning at 6 am I sensed someone watching me. I opened my eyes and was nose to nose with a brightly awake toddler. "HI Oma!"
Argh!
I changed her and got her back in bed for another hour.

We colored, we read books, we watched Sharon, Lois and Bram a dozen times, and in the afternoon we played in our little playground, where she swinged (swung?) for about 15 minutes, urging me to push her higher and higher.
It made ME sick to my stomach. I never was one for swings and slides.
After the swinging we strolled along the neighborhood, discovering ant hills and other delightful treats.
At 2pm I dumped her in bed and we both took a good nap.

At 5 when Bugs came to pick her up I was ready to melt into mush.

After a long hot shower, Wheelie and I settled in front of the tube to watch Ken Burns' National Parks. What a great program, we can't wait to see the rest.

The part about Yosemite made me think of my uncle Bert (Iggy's father) who always loved the outdoors, and I recalled the trips to Sequoia and Yosemite Park back in 1968 and 1969.
He loved American history and nature, and he would have loved this program.

I wasn't much for camping, still am not, but he made me appreciate the American wilderness, the big trees, the waterfalls, the mountains.

Today was our day off. After a trip to the post office, I did my little Kohl's/Starbucks trip and then home to finish the ironing, changing the beds, doing the checkbook, paying some of the bills.

The weatherman promises temps in the 50s after tomorrow (nights) so it's almost time for my beloved flannel sheets again.


SGMKJ!

1 comment:

  1. Ah! Life is good. SMILE*
    Love to walk those trials and such.
    The kid looks happy with Her cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete