Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Some tune long long forgotten




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78Qm1_IeRA


Back in 1968, when I first met Puri, he was working for a record distributor across the street from the Bay Side Coffee shop, where I worked for/with my uncle and aunts (and sometimes Iggy).
His 'pick up line' was: "Do you like music?"

Of course I liked music!

I knew he would come in the next day with a bunch of LPs. Alas, that next day
I flew to Banff, Canada to spend a few weeks at my other aunt and uncle's, and one of my best buddies and cousin Jos.
Jos decided to do what I did, he flew the coupe and emigrated to Canada. (He lasted about a year)
Jos and I had a little bit of a history. We were the same age, and we were very, VERY, good friends. We would go on little dates. Just dancing, and movies, parties. He was a super dancer, and always the life of the party, despite his fragile health (he had some kind of lung disease when he was little) A nice platonic relationship, which nevertheless worried my father and his brother, Jos' dad.
The need not have worried.

My cousin was the Dutch version of Jerry Lewis. This guy could make you laugh so hard, you would need a few extra pair of panties if you spent more than a few hours with him.

Argh, that sounds dirty. Haha!

But I digress.

I intended to stay in Canada for a while, but Iggy's mom was in an accident and I was called 'home' because they needed me at the Coffee shop.

Puri was happy and relieved to see me again. He thought I'd gone back to Holland. The next day he came in with a fist full of LPs. The only ones I remember were a Trini Lopez album and a Pozo Seco Singers LP.

Since I loved folk music, I loved the Pozo Seco Singers right from the start.

It's funny how one's brain works sometimes. Here I was just sitting on the couch tonight, watching Wheel of Fortune, and in pops the thought of this album.

41 Years ago. A very green and perty darn ignorant skinny Dutch girl fell in love with a guy ten years her senior, a divorced guy no less, with two children no less, not Catholic no less.

Oh shame!

:>)

I found a few YouTube's on this group, and was able to listen to some of the songs once again.

Folk music was my favorite in those days. Joan Baez, The Seekers, New Christy Minstrels, Serendipity Singers, Pete Seeger, Kingston Trio, Gordon Lightfoot, Tim Hardin...............and...and...and...

Nice memories......


From the home front:

Bugs seems to do very well on her anti depressing meds. She seems more centered, more focused, happier.

Until we received a letter in our mail box today addressed to her.

From Nana.

Oh boy!

She read it sitting on the sofa here. Ten pages long. Didn't say much (except for a soft: sonoffaF***ngbitch!)

There, there now...

Nana had an interesting but absurd offer: Move in with US, and I will take care of Boo, so SHE WON"T HAVE TO GO TO DAYCARE.....and YOU won't even have to work if you don't want to!

Daddy will be in jail for at least a year. He is reading his bible every day. Nana is praying every day, all day long. Like that's going to pay Bugs' rent, or pay the child support he owes her.

As much as I feel for these people, they are Boo's grand parents after all, I don't think these folks understand where Bugs (and us for that matter) is coming from.

Perhaps the solution would be to come to some compromise and let them see/visit Boo on Bugs' terms, in the park or something like that. That way she would not have to get involved with the family.

And no, I did not suggest this to Bugs. I am behaving myself, staying out of it.

It will be interesting to see how things will develop.
One thing is a fact though, this family IS part of her life, whether she likes it or not.

Bugs had good news in HER mailbox. Both she and Boo are now officially signed up for Medicaid.
A huge relief, as I foresee more doctor's appointments for both of them.
Boo has this cough, and I have a feeling we'll be ending up having to buy that Penguin shaped nebulizer. I really have a feeling she has a chronic problem.

The weather has been outstanding. Nice and cool. overcast and some rain. It's quite a relief to be able to go out and take deep cool breaths, and not collapse from heat exhaustion just walking to and from the mail box.

SGMKJ!





No comments:

Post a Comment