Monday, September 28, 2009

The wilderness and Uncle Bert




My uncle and me somewhere...I forget where....might have been Dorrington, California. Top photo might haven been Sequoia Park.

I clearly recall us walking along a road and being kind of lost, but happily singing:

Een vreemde arme snuiter was moede van het wandelen
Was moede moede van het wandelen
Hij was zijn fluit verloren uit zijne mantelzak zak
Uit zijne mantelzak
Dat is niets ik heb gevonden waar jij zo veel van hield tralalala hield tralalala
Waar jij zo veel van hield



We edited the lyrics and it became such a silly song, we both peed our pants laughing.

Ahhh...sometimes this old brain remembers stuff....

Margo...check this out: http://www.engelfriet.net/Alie/versjes.htm#lijstje

And again, Bert would have loved Ken Burns' National Parks program. The second part was as amazing as the first. Very educational and inspirational. Make ya want to go out and watch the buffalo and Old Faithful, live in a cabin in the snow.

This is an amazing country, nature wise. Teddy Roosevelt reminds me of Barack Obama. He also made some huge decisions for change that nobody wanted, but in hindsight, everyone agrees with.

It all takes time, folks, a lot of time and patience.

SGMKJ!

1 comment:

  1. Een vreemde arme snuiter....!!! I was singing it out loud right away! Haven't heard or sang it for decades! Amazing.
    Good you mention Uncle Bert. He seems to have disappeared completely. Hans nor Corrie mentioned him when I saw them. I've been wondering about a lot of people in the family lately, and their past and the choices they made, their life stories I'd love to learn about. It must be all that reading and researching about that war that never ends, the second WW. I seem to get a lot of different insights, or maybe because I'm older I understand more and want to know more too. Anyway, thanks for bringing Uncle Bert back!
    M.

    ReplyDelete