Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Damn shoes

The past few weeks I've been entertaining the thought that I should really get some plan going in case I have to travel home.
The checklist has been made. The appropriate clothing is clean and ready to pack.
However. I still need some black dress shoes.

HA!

Now, when you've been running around the for past few years in Converse tennies and flip flops, your feet will NOT like putting on shoes.

Needless to say, I am not built for 4 or 5 inch spikes. My feet are too small, I'd be better off buying ballet toe shoes.

No, 1 to 2 inches should do it.

You'd think!

I received my catalog from Belk's and saw some nice little shoes. So I decided to go and have a look.

Well.
These are the ones I tried on first. Size 7. ( My regular size is 7 1/2)
No go. Too BIG.
Tried a 6 1/2. They fit better, but my bunions and my big toes were going:

Ouch! Ouch!..argh! No-no-no-nooooo

I tried walking around a bit, realizing that I just had to get my feet used to them. But no go. Even the 2 inch heels are too high for me.

I found the ones in the top picture, but they didn't have my size. They seemed more comfortable, no seams on my bunions, and a lower heel, softer leather.

Oh well.

It'll probably come down to spending a few more bucks for some NICE soft ones. Problem is, I hardly ever wear dress shoes anymore, so I hate to spend a fortune.

Funny how things changes over the years. As a teenager, all I bought were shoes (and handbags) when I first started working. I couldn't get enough shoes. Of course back in those days and being in Europe, most shoes were made in Italy, and I had my favorite store (Dungelmans) which always had my favorite styles, always the latest styles, the softest shoes.

With my very first paycheck I bought a pair of black patent leather heels, very pointy toes, very slender 2 inch heels. I had those little metal thingies put on the bottom so I could hear myself click-clacking around. Mind you, I had the skinniest legs (still do) and in those days we wore nylons (time before pantyhose), worse yet, with SEAMS up the back.

My nylons always ballooned at the calf a little, and it must have been quite a sight to watch me walk around.
Us girls loved to wear our heels to church on Sundays. We'd sit all the way in the back so that for communion we would have to walk ALL the way to the front over the stone floor, making quite a ruckus.

When I came to the States, I wore mostly nurses shoes to work (yuck) and comfortable flats during my jobs in retail.

Then there came a time I wore nothing but Swedish clogs and Birkenstocks. Wore those for ages!

It wasn't until I became manager at Macy's I felt I deserved to look fancier, and I did wear heels then.

At one time, Bugs was about 4 or so, we were shopping the famous Macy's shoe sale. She came up to me 'presenting' a very pretty pointy pink/purple Via Spiga flat with a big round leather bow on top. She said: " mama, now - THESE ....... are - adorable!!!" (Imagine a 4 year old "presenting" a shoe and saying that!)
Of course I bought them, and they were the most comfortable shoes I had ever owned, to hell with the color. I actually wore those shoes out, even had them resoled a few times.

Since our retirement I've only had one pair of dress shoes, which I bought for my nephew's wedding. Wore them once. Gave them to Goodwill.

So it has been Reebocks, Flipflops, Converse (pink etc) and sandals for the past 10 years or so.

No wonder my feet are protesting confining shoes!

I won't give up though, GOTTA have some good shoes.

Just mailed my Publisher's Clearinghouse entry, perhaps I'll win a big prize. Than I can buy LOTS of shoes, expensive ones!

It's also kind of interesting that I now LOVE to buy shoes for Boo-boo. I have three brand new pairs for her, ready to grow into. Heck, I buy them when they first get on the shelves, otherwise they're gone when you need them

Make sense huh!

*lol*

SGMKJ!

No comments:

Post a Comment