Saturday, December 21, 2013

Memories of Christmas long long ago





Mom and I used to go to midnight mass on Christmas eve.



That meant, going to bed at seven. Getting up again at eleven. It always felt like such an honor to be the first of us kids to see the decorations my parents put up that evening. The pine branches behind every picture on the wall, the tree all set up, the nativity all set up except for the baby Jesus. My father would design this grotto thing made out of stiff dark gray paper, and had little lights in it as well. I wish I had pictures of that.

There were red and white paper bells hanging on the lamp over the table. It smelled so green and delicious.

Shivering from lack of sleep and cold, Mom and I dressed quickly. Went on our way. Walking to church in the dark.
I clearly remember that long long mass. I believe there were three in a row we had to attend. One "High" mass and two "silent" masses
The church would be warm and light and full of people who had the true spirit of Christmas.
I would sit quietly listening in awe to the Men's chorus, loved all the candles that were lit. The life size Nativity in the back.

But the best of the best were those times when we came out of church and it would be snowing!

In those days there was no TV, at least not in our house, no meteorologists and radars to warn us about snow. Us kids didn't pay attention to the weather forecasts.
It always struck me as magical that right on Christmas eve the snow would start falling.

The streets at two or three in the early morning would be quiet. There were not many cars back then, and everyone except us catholics were asleep!

By the time we got home our Dad would be getting the boys ready to go to the 4 o'clock mass.
They got to listen to the Boy's choir, and only had to attend ONE Mass.

By the time they got back home Mom and I had the breakfast table ready. The good table cloth, the good china. Very festive with red ribbons and candles, much to the delight of my pyromaniac brothers.

There would be special Christmas bread, stollen, broodjes, extra fancy ham and cheese,

We took turn putting Baby Jesus in his little bed. Then we couldn't wait till daylight came, so we could go outside and play in the snow.

How things have changed.

And not really for the best in my opinion.

But those memories will never fade, thank God.

SGMKJ!




1 comment:

  1. Such a great memory and you wrote it so vividly that I felt like I was there getting to see the snow! Merry Christmas!!
    Wendy P.

    ReplyDelete