Thursday, December 12, 2013

Out of the Old, into the New, and Santa Too

 Out of the old
 Into the new
 And Santa too


And here we are, twelve days later.
All the boxes have been unpacked. Most of the pictures have been hung. Most 'stuff' has found a place. The rest we stowed in closets and under beds.
Later...
Finally I feel I can relax. I feel happy and relieved to be here.
The neighbors are neighborly, they are friendly and say hello. They don't knock on your door out of curiosity.
The staff has been phenomenal. The two maintenance guys, John and Fred, will appear out of the blue at any and every request.
The apartment is small. too small for all out furniture. My red chair wouldn't even fit in the door after the mover guys delivered all the boxes. So I told them to take it and donate it.
The new coffee table is going to Bugs, as there is no room for that either.
I love the smallness, the low ceilings, the Dutch-like feeling I get here. Everything within reach in the kitchen.
Two plenty large bathrooms, one for me, one for Wheelie.
Nice new appliances, washer, dryer, stove, fridge, dishwasher.
New wall to wall carpet, tiles in the kitchen and the bathrooms.
Super strong showers.
We haven't had the heater on since we've been here, it's nice and warm inside,  even though it hovers around freezing outside.
The first nine days we had nothing but dreary rain. But low and behold, the day before yesterday the sun greeted us in the morning. All our windows are large and facing the street, AND the sun all day.
On Sunday the Lodge was having an Open House. A day full of events. We had Boo here and she loved watching the tap dancers, and loved being able to visit Santa.

The new Hospice gals are all black. They are competent and friendly and smart. We're still juggling their schedules a bit, but we're happy we're being taken care of.

We do miss our gals in Cartersville though. Amanda came to visit us and Jennifer called us today, promised to come and see us very soon.

I went back to the 'old' house one more time day before yesterday. I still had the vacuum cleaner there and I forgot to take the cereal. The only cabinet I didn't check.
Went and said goodbye to my dear neighbor friend. At 90-some she is still so chipper and interested and promised to keep in touch via email. I'll miss her middle of the night piano concerts, when she couldn't sleep and played little ditties on her baby grand. She didn't realize we could hear her, but I always treasured those little concerts.

Looking back I am amazed I did all this. First the bankruptcy, the dealing with all of that. Then the looking for a new place, then the organizing, the packing, the trips back and forth. The unpacking once we were here.

The girls came to set up the Christmas tree on Sunday. We were so happy it fit so nicely.

So here we are.

Ready for some true retiring.

SGMKJ

No comments:

Post a Comment